Looking for a salsa recipe to serve at your next summer party or BBQ that’s a little bit different to the standard tomato-based dip, but still fits with your weight loss plan? This mixed bean and pineapple salsa could be exactly what you’ve been waiting for.
Providing protein and fibre from a variety of beans, as well as plenty of nutrients from the colourful fresh fruit and vegetables, including green beans, red peppers and vibrant pineapple, this salsa is packed with flavour and texture.
Low-Calorie Mixed Bean & Pineapple Salsa Recipe
- 310 g tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 310 g tinned mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 310 g tinned soybeans, drained and rinsed
- 300 g fresh green beans, rinsed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 440 g tinned pineapple chunks, drained (but keep the juice for another part of the recipe)
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp unsaturated vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice (from the drained juice)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Garlic salt to taste
Begin by preparing the green beans. Rinse them in cold water, blot dry and slice into 1-inch pieces. Place the sliced beans in a saucepan over a medium-high heat and fill the pan with water, leaving about ¼-inch from the top of the beans.
Cover with a lid and leave to steam for 5-7 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. Remove from the heat, drain any excess water and leave the green beans to one side.
While the beans are steaming, peel and slice the onion, wash and slice the peppers, and separate the pineapple chunks from their juice. Set aside.
Drain and rinse the kidney beans, mixed beans, and soybeans, then combine together in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cooked green beans, pineapple chunks, sliced onion, and red pepper.
In a small bowl, mix together the oil, pineapple juice, sugar, and garlic salt, then add it to the bean mixture and stir to combine. Place the large mixing bowl in the fridge for at least one hour to allow the flavours to blend together.
Remove from the fridge and divide into six servings. Enjoy!
Amount per serving
Allergens: contains soy
Check out another low-calorie side dish recipe here: